Department was founded in 1987 as a result of the need to develop better teaching and scientific research in the field of geotechnical engineering as a specific field of modern civil engineering.
Teachers from Department of Geotechnical Engineering hold lectures on bachelor studies and master studies in field of geotechnics:
• Engineering Geology 1
• Engineering Geology 2
• Soil Mechanics
• Geotechnics in Transportation Engineering
• Transportation Tunnels
• Rock Mechanics and Underground Structures
• Foundation Engineering
• Complex Foundation Design
• Retaining Structures of Deep Excavations
• Foundation Design of Transportation and Hidraulic Structures
Field of scientific research:
• Soil structuire interaction
• Application of numerical methods in geotechics
• Constitutive soil models – numerical methods of sress integration
• Retaining structures
• Underground structures
• Deep foundations
• Developing construction technology in deep excavations
• Fly ash Soil stabilization
Laboratory of Soil Mechanics is actively involved in the teaching process and scientific research.
The Department staff consists of 2 associate professors, 4 assistant professors and 5 teaching assistants.